With our local partner Acacia (acacia-rdc.org) we opened an environmental elementary school focused on nature preservation and agro-ecology. The children are going through a solid K-6 program and also learn how to protect their environment and face climate change.
The school follows the national educational program but also instill values such as gender equality and team work. It is hosted on a commercial farm in Fungurume, home of a protected forest of 3,000 hectares.
CASSAVA FOR HEALTH
To support gynecologists and women’s rights activists such as Dr. Denis Mukwege in DRC, we invest in expanding local cassava production by and for women and girls victims of sexual and gender based violence; and initiate local fabrication of surgical alcohol made out of cassava:
- Providing local clinics with quality pharmaceutical alcohol (otherwise imported from China or India)
- Increasing sustainable revenue for women producers of cassava
- Promoting women’s health education and sharing best practices to other regions
We promote the transformation and conservation of fresh vegetables, through processing, packaging, warehouse and transportation services, to:
- Increase women’s revenue
- Secure a marketplace for their production
- Substitute poor quality imported goods with organic product
We promote the development of a recycling value chain to:
- Set up women’s networks for collection and sorting of plastic waste
- Produce artisanal products for retail such as sandals and flip flops